BIG SMILES… and the big picture! 2018 will be an exciting year for YSV! The city of Hampton is moving forward this winter with construction of a permanent dock on Mill Creek at Fort Monroe. This dock will be our new home. Located adjacent to the Fort Monroe Community Center, the dock will allow YSV to expand our programs. In partnership with the Peninsula YMCA, Hampton Parks and Recreation and other youth organizations we will be offering learn-to-sail programs for area youths, including those from underserved parts of our community.
We look forward to the opportunity to teach sailing skills to even more youth than before. In addition to learning on the water skills, young sailors learn important life skills. When they are captain of their own boat, constant decision making is required. Self-reliance develops when learning to sail a boat out into the open water and returning safely to the dock. Working with your crew to maneuver your boat develops team work. It is wonderful to see the confidence that a young person develops as they learn sailing skills.
The forward progress that YSV has achieved was only possible due to the generous support of individuals, local businesses, foundations and the tireless work of dedicated volunteers. Our goal for our summer program is for every child in our community that wants to learn to sail, can do so, regardless of their ability to pay.
Please make a donation TODAY! and help us engage more young people out on the water, unplugged from electronics, learning-sailing skills and having fun! Donations may also be made online by clicking here.
The 2017 sailing season began with “big smiles” by hosting eight regattas during the spring and fall season with eighteen teams from both private and public schools in Virginia.
As the “premier” regatta venue for both VISA and MASSA sailors, Mill Creek at Historic Fort Monroe continues to present the best sailing conditions by far!
• Kecoughtan, Hampton & Phoebus (Hampton City Schools) and Hampton Roads Academy continue to represent YSV at other venues with over 49 sailors during 2017 season
• April 29th: YSV and HRA hosted the Sea Scout Ship 1610 and its visiting scouts for a day of sailing
• May 30th: YSV hosted the VISA Annual Women’s Regatta
• July 4th at Fort Monroe: YSV provided many volunteer hours to move and prepare the floating docks to support the annual fireworks event viewed by over 20,000 visitors
• October 6th: YSV partnered with Oozlefinch to host our Annual Oyster Roast that was a huge success!
• October 26th: YSV hosted the Tidewater conference of Independent Schools Championship
• October 28th: YSV hosted the VISA Varsity Fleet Championship
• November 4th: YSV hosted the VISA Jr. Varsity Fleet Championships
• YSV teams qualified at the following regattas:
- Spring 2017 – MASSA Fleet Championship, Silver, Chestertown, MD and MASSA Team Race Championship, Annapolis, MD
- Fall 2017 – MASSA Fleet Championship, Silver, Annapolis MD and MASSA Team Race Championship, St. Mary’s, MD
• November 19: Sailors and volunteers hauled out FJ’s for the winter